The suspect in a shooting near the White House was killed in an exchange of fire with Secret Service agents on Saturday evening, officials have confirmed.
BBC's US media partner CBS has named the suspect as Nasire Best, a 21-year-old man who was known to the Secret Service and had a documented history of mental health problems.
The US Secret Service has said that one bystander was also wounded in the shooting, but did not provide any further details on their condition. No officers were injured in the attack, the Secret Service has confirmed.
The shooting remains under investigation, and road closures around the White House will likely stay in place overnight.
The incident occurred outside the White House at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW near the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, the Secret Service has said. They told CBS that between 10 and 20 gunshots were fired.
The Secret Service said a man pulled a gun from his bag and began firing shortly before 18:00 (23:00 GMT), on Saturday. Secret Service police returned fire, hitting the suspect who was later pronounced dead at hospital.
CBS later identified that person as Nasire Best.
A source told the outlet that Best, 21, had been arrested in July 2025 after he tried to access the White House, and he was subsequently sent to a psychiatric facility.
